Winter Pressure Appointments
Winter is upon us and there is always more demand to see a GP. We have allocated extra appointments each week to help with this demand. Please ask the receptionists for details.
Open Day - Thursday 29th August 11am to 3pm
We are holding an open event with the assistance of our PPG members to promote 'Going Digital' to our Patients. NHS England want all GP Practices to target 50% of its patients to register for online access. This is a big ask and we know not all of our patients are comfortable with using smartphones and computers. There will be PPG members, staff and experts to guide patients to help understand how to use the technology. Please bring along your own smartphones, tablets or laptops and we will do our best to help you to get set up! Please help us to spread the word!
We have extended some of our GP and Nurse appointments to enable working age people to have better access to appointments. There will be a range of extended hours from 7am on Wednesdays and up to 8pm on Monday and Thursdays. Please ask at reception for details. The GP appointments will also be available to book online
Practice Based Clinical Pharmacist
Our new practice pharmacist Umesh started with us on 11th March and is working on various projects such as optimizing and reviewing medication.
The role is pivotal to improving the quality of care and ensuring patient safety. having clinical pharmacists in GP practices means that GP's can focus their skills where they are most needed, for example on diagnosing and treating patients with more complex conditions. Umesh is already settling in nicely within the team and finding his feet with the different IT systems we use.
Community Link Workers
City Health Care Partnership
Did you know we had a community link worker associated with our practice?
We know that many people visiting their GP have underlying social problems that impact on their health. These could be related to a range of issues including social isolation, low level anxiety or stress, money or housing issues. Our Community Link Worker is here to help people connect to the right support and services that can make a big difference to people’s lives. if you think you or a loved one could benefit from her help please speak to one of the staff, a doctor or nurse.
Your Community Link Worker: Katie Bannister
- Has lots of knowledge about local services and what is going on in your local community
- Can spend time with you to understand any issues or concerns that might be affecting your health and wellbeing
- Will work with you to find the right support and information.
For more information visit; Community Link Workers Wigan
Want to Quit Smoking?
The Surgery is working with HealthyRoutes offering free support and advice on quitting smoking. We have a support worker (Louise)here on Friday mornings and she has a great success rate helping our patients to quit. Please contact the surgery to book an appointment or for further information 01942 367199
Are you due to have your smear test?
Cervical screening (smear test)
- Each year around five million women in the UK are invited for cervical screening (smear test)
- Cervical screening saves 5,000 lives a year in the UK.
- Cervical screening is free and you should receive your invitation to attend for regular screening from your GP surgery (it is important that you let them know of any change in your name or address)
- If you are feeling anxious beforehand, you can ask a member of your family or friend to accompany you. Your practice nurse will be happy to talk through any anxieties that you have prior to your cervical screening appointment
- Cervical screening is NOT a test to find cancer. It is a screening test to detect changes to the cells of the cervix, which are called cervical abnormalities or precancer
- Between 90 and 94% of all screening results come back normal, with no abnormalities found
- It is important to remember that an abnormal screening result rarely means cancer
- Having regular cervical screening offers the best protection against developing cervical cancer
- Please take up your invitation to attend your cervical screening test; regular screening saves lives.
- Please call 01942367199 to book an appointment with Practice Nurses Sarah or Denise.
Carers Event Wednesday 13th June 2018
The practice would like to thank all the patients that attended the carers event we held as it was a great success, we would also like to thank Pat from Wigan and Leigh Carers Centre, Katie from Community Link Workers, Matthew from Lean on Me project and Jean from the bereavement service and most of all Ellen (Carers lead) and Craig (Business Coordinator) for arranging the event. We managed to refer 13 new carers!
Congratulations and well done to Rachel our Receptionist and her sister in taking part in a sponsored marathon for Crohns & Colitis Uk. 26.2 miles in 4 hours raising £800! If you would like further information about the charity go to www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk
Carers Gold Star!
The surgery is currently working with Wigan and Leigh carers centre to provide help and support of our carers and who is being cared for, doing this has awarded us a gold start.
Please go to our carers direct page for further information.
The Wigan GP Extended Hours
WIGAN GP ACCESS ALLIANCE
NEED TO SEE A GP IN THE EVENINGS OR AT WEEKENDS?
WIGAN BOROUGH GPS HAVE COME TOGETHER TO PROVIDE EXTENDED ACCESS TO A GP IN 'HUBS' ACCROSS THE BOROUGH.
YOU CAN BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
WEEKDAYS 6.30PM TO 8PM
WEEKENDS 10AM TO 4PM
CURRENTLY THERE ARE FIVE HUBS OPEN IN- PEMBERTON , SHEVINGTON, TYLDESLEY AND ASHTON. THERE WILL BE MORE HUBS OPENING ACCROSS THE BOROUGH SOON.
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT PLEASE RING: 01942 482848
Hubs and Opening Times
The appointments are for:
- Cervical Smears
- Contraceptive pill checks - (not the depo provera injection)
- Long Term Condition reviews:
- COPD reviews
- Asthma reviews
- Diabetes reviews - (annual bloods need to be done a few days before the review date)
- Peripheral Arterial Disease reviews
- Ischaemic Heart Disease reviews - (annual bloods need to be done a few days before the review date)
- Stroke reviews
- Atrial Fibrillation reviews
- Heart Failure reviews
(Ask our call handlers or refer to the website for the list of LTC reviews available – and book a double appointment)
Tele: 01942 482848 or refer to our website: http://www.wigangpalliance.org
Named Accountable GP
Pemberton Surgery has allocated a named GP for all patients. The GP will be responsible for co-ordinating your care. You will be notified by letter in due course regarding which GP has been allocated to you. If you wish to know who your named GP is please contact the surgery. If you have a preference as to which GP you are allocated, please let us know and we will make reasonable efforts to accommodate this request. Although you have been given a “named GP” this does not prevent you from seeing any GP in the Practice.
Online access to GP records
The Practice now offers online access to GP records. We have the facility for patients to view online, export or print information relating to medications, allergies and adverse reactions following agreement with your GP.
Any new patients registering at the Practice will be given a form to complete to register for this service. Existing patients – please contact the surgery and ask to register for online access.